The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Waterstown Park, Palmerstown. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Waterstown parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Waterstown parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Waterstown parkrun in a larger map
The course starts adjacent to the car park of Waterstown Park. From the start the course bears to the right eastward and then takes an immediate left down the valley towards the River Liffey. After approx half a kilometre you will meet a junction at which you head straight across going west. Continuing on forward on a fairly flat course for a kilometre - at the western extremity of the park - you take a right, where you will cross a bridge and then immediately bare right again. You then progress east along the banks of the River Liffey for approx another Kilometer. Here you will turn right again where you will cross a second bridge and head up a small incline till you meet the junction again. At this junction take a right and complete a second lap continuing on in a clockwise direction. Once your 2nd lap has been completed - having crossed the second bridge again - you head straight up across the junction - up a steady incline and then down again to the Finish Line.
Free car parking facilities at Waterstown Park adjacent to the Start Line.
At present there are no toilet facilities at the park but we are looking into same being made available.
Location of start
The run starts adjacent to the car park of Waterstown Park
Getting there by public transport
Buses number 18, 25, 25A, 25B,26, 66, 66B, 67, 25X, 66X and the 67X all serve Palmerstown from the City Centre and beyond. The bus stop (at the foot bridge) is only a 5 minute walk to Waterstown parkrun.
For bus timetables see the Dublin Bus website
Getting there on foot
At the traffic lights - at the footbridge - walk onto Kennelsworth Road Lower. There will be the Palmestown Lodge to your right and The Furniture Junction to your left. At the end of the road turn left onto the Old Lucan Road. Walk past the Palmerstown House on your right. Take your 1st right onto Waterstown Avenue Then take a right into Stewarts Recreation Centre
Then take a left into Waterstown Park car park. Walk past the car park to your left and you will find the park directly in front of you.
Getting there by road
From The City Center:
Take the Chaplizid Bypass (R148) to Palmerstown At the traffic lights (at the footbridge) turn right onto Kennelsworth Road Lower. Palmerstown Lodge will then be to your right and The Furniture Junction to your left. At the top of the road turn left onto the Old Lucan Road. Drive past the Palmerstown House on your rightTake your 1st right onto Waterstown Avenue Take a right into Stewarts Recreation Centre. Then take a left into Waterstown Park Car park.
From M50 - Junction 7 & The N4 West:
Take the N4 exit to An Lar/City Centre Palmerstown. Drive past the Esso Garage on your right. At the traffic lights (at the footbridge) turn left onto Kennelsworth Road Lower. Palmerstown Lodge should then be to your right and The Furniture Junction to your left. At the top of the road turn left onto the Old Lucan Road. Drive past the Palmerstown House on your right Take your 1st right onto Waterstown Avenue. Take a right into Stewarts Recreation Centre. Then take a left into Waterstown Park Car park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Coach House - please come and join us!