• Dan guided Máiréad to a PB back in April - but she's had three more since!
Name: Mairead O Mahony
Club: Tralee parkrun
• Máiréad and Majella would both be much quicker if they weren't laughing all the time... But where's the fun in that?
Home parkrun: Tralee
Number of runs: 29
• Máiréad with Emer, Pat and Ellen - One of the gang!
Favourite volunteer role: So far giving the first timers briefing.
What do you do at parkrun? I walk the 5K and try to improve on my times on a regular basis.
• Máiréad and Mary powering their way to Mairéad's PB earlier this month!
How has parkrun changed your running? When I started off doing parkrun, it took me almost 58 minutes to complete the 5K and recently I have completed it in 47:15. Recently I started jogging a little on each lap and this is something I never thought I would have the confidence to do but the encouragement I receive from my VI guides is brilliant and makes me want to push myself while having fun.
• Máiréad and Ross with some of the regulars in June 2019
What do you like about parkrun? Everyone is always so friendly and welcoming and everyone has a good word of encouragement to say to each other when passing during the laps. It is very inclusive and I love the fact that I also get to volunteer like everyone else. I have formed lots of friendships and stay in touch with people during the week.
Most memorable or funniest parkrun moment? Every now and then when I am in the middle of my second lap I say to my guide will we tell them this is our last lap when we get to the finish point but I don’t get away with it.
• Mairéad's first parkrun in January 2019, guided by Tony
How did you get involved with parkrun? A few people had suggested it to me but I always ruled it out as I thought you would have to run the 5K but when I contacted Tralee parkrun they reassured me that there is lots of walkers as well.