The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Blackwater Park, Navan. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Navan parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Navan parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
Blackwater Park is situated on a 28 hectare (66 acre) site at Abbeylands, Navan between the Wintown Road/Ratholdron Road and the river Blackwater. The course is 1.4 km circular lap, run anticlockwise. The course is all tarmac. You will complete 3 and a half laps to finish. You will start at approx 300 yards into park keeping to the left hand side of park route, you will run around back of green area turning left towards pedestrian crossing, keep following tarmac all the way around the park until arriving back at start line, this completes 1 lap. You will finish in green area opposite playground. You will see views of Navan Town Centre as well as old ruins of Elliott's furniture factory on the banks of Blackwater river, there is also a view of Tara Mines in the distance.
- Free Parking
- Children’s Play Area
- Football Pitches
- No Toilet Facilities
- No Café
Location of start
The run starts approx 300 yards into park.
Getting there by public transport
Getting there on foot
From the Shopping Centre (Navan Town Centre) approx.1.6km
- Exit the back door of the Shopping Centre to the left and Turn left onto Abbey Rd
- Turn right almost immediately onto N51, crossing the Circular Road (with Pedestrian lights) & over the Bridge
- Turn left onto Ratholdren Rd and continue straight for 700 metres approx
- Blackwater Park will be on the left.
Getting there by road
From Market Square (The Bull) approx 1.8km
- From Market Square (centre of town) keep left, head north towards Watergate Street.
- Continue straight through traffic lights, over the bridge. At next set of traffic lights turn left.
- Continue straight through next set of traffic lights
- Travel 700metres and Blackwater Park will be on your left.
From M3 Motorway
- Take exit 9 off the motorway (Navan North)
- If you are travelling from Dublin take the 3rd exit off the roundabout for Navan N51 & if you are travelling from Kells/ Cavan take the 1st exit at the roundabout Navan N51.
- At the next roundabout take the 1st exit and stay on the N51 (Dublin traffic only)
- Travel for 2.8km until you approach another roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on N51
- Travel 0.6km to next roundabout take the 3rd exit off roundabout.
- Continue straight through 1st set of traffic lights, at 2nd set of traffic lights turn left (opposite Fire Station)
- Travel 300m until you approach next set of traffic lights and turn left
- Blackwater Park is 700 metres on your left approx.
The co-ordinates are 53.663055, 6.693795
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in a local café - please come and join us!