The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Mallow Castle, Mallow. The course is run on a mixture of concrete paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Mallow Castle parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Mallow Castle parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe start is in the grounds of Mallow Castle. The route exits through a pedestrian gate onto Castlelands towards the river. It then runs eastwards along the riverbank crossing two footbridges. Followed by two anticlockwise loops on a mixture of concrete and trail around the perimeter of the park. Returning over the footbridges to finish in the grounds of Mallow Castle.
Soccer and GAA pitches, a children’s playground, and outdoor fitness equipment are situated in the nearby Mallow Town Park. There is a public toilet available on St James’ Avenue.
Location of startThe event starts in the grounds of Mallow Castle.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: Bus Eireann number 51 from Cork and Limerick serves Mallow. Alight at bus stop in Town Park. Head east towards Mallow Bridge, then left onto Bridge Street. Mallow Castle is 100 metres on your right. Please see the Bus Éireann website for more information.
Train: Irish Rail serves Mallow from Cork, Limerick and Killarney. Alight at Mallow train station. Take footbridge over N20. Continue toward Mallow town centre. Continue straight down through Main Street/Davis Street and onto Bridge Street. Mallow Castle is on your left. Please see the Irish Rail website for more information.
Getting there on footFrom Main Street in front of the library take Bridge Street and Mallow Castle is on your left.
Getting there by road
- From Cork: Take N20 towards Limerick. At the roundabout in Mallow take the 3rd exit onto West End. Take first right onto Park Road. Park in the public car park nearest to Mallow Bridge.
- From Limerick: Take N20 towards Cork. At the second roundabout in Mallow take the 1st exit onto West End. Take first right onto Park Road. Park in the public car park nearest to Mallow Bridge.
- From Killarney: Take N72 towards Mallow. At the roundabout in Mallow take the 2nd exit onto West End. Take first right onto Park Road. Park in the public car park nearest Mallow Bridge.
- If using SATNAV the Eircode for Mallow Castle is P51KC57
- Four public car parks are available near Mallow Castle. One on the Park Road near Mallow Bridge, two on either side of the Muddy Hill and one with limited spaces on Bridge Street (LIDL car park is for customers only).